Church and Family History Research Assistance for Daviess County, Missouri



Sugar Creek Church was organized at the Brown school house in Daviess County, on February 18, 1860, with five charter members, viz., James M. Ward, Mary Ward, William Brandom, Francis Burrell, and Louisa Burrell. The presbytery was composed of Elder Aaron Wright, from Little Flock Church, Mercer Co., and Elder Isaiah Guymon, from Siloam Church, Sullivan Co., and Elder Bro. James Atkinson, from New Hope church, Grundy Co.

Sugar Creek Church continued to meet in the same school house, and the Johnson school house, for about thirteen years. In 1873, a new building was erected in Bancroft, and served for nearly 30 years. In 1904 the old building was razed, and a more modern building was erected.

Sugar Creek Church united first with the Siloam Association, and continued in that body for 53 years. In 1913, the church united with the Fishing River Association.

Pastors of Sugar Creek Church included Elders James M. Ward, Allen Sisk, W. R. Riggs, C. P. Beadle, Walter Cash, and Roy Barnes (up to 1940). Deacons included Francis Burrell, John W. Ward, W. S. Ward, M. F. Ward, J. P. Tourney, Albert Mote, and G. W. Oram. Clerks included Francis N. Burrell, James F. Ward, W. F. Ward, Robert Burrell, C. J. Burrell, C. F. Oram, George Oram, and Tressie Keown.

Go Back to the Primitive Baptist Library Page

Go Back to the Family History Assistance Page

Copyright c. 2001. All rights reserved. The Primitive Baptist Library.

This page maintained by: Robert Webb - (